One fateful day we (my husband and I,) watched as the mother duck defended her ducklings from crows, a seagull and a wading dog. There are five ducklings now, to start with she had eight or nine. After that series of sudden attacks she became very shy and secretive for a while. I think the dog particularly gave her a terribly bad fright. After patient searching we would always discover her hiding her young away in a hidden clump of reeds or grass on the edge of the extensive pond – it had become a kind of ritual for us to see them every day. Fortunately she has got over that,and also the ducklings have grown to a size where they are not so vulnerable anymore. These days they take frequent trips up the canal where they are fed a lot of bread by passers-by. Evening will always find them back on the pond, often they are accompanied by a drake – a mallard with glossy green head and striking plumage. I actually prefer the mother's plumage, duller maybe, but when you look closely, the pattern of golden-brown feathers is very rich – and she has such a motherly, pleasing look. I am not sure if the drake is the father or not, or even if it is the same one all the time, if he is a father, he certainly leaves the mother to do most of the rearing on her own. Such a lot has been happening because it is Spring-time and I have been meaning to get started on this blog for quite some time now. I have been taking quite a lot of photographs – my camera is not that good and I have no pretensions to being a professional photographer, still I would like to share my inadequate attempts to capture the beauty and mystery of what I see every day and will keep updating the slide-show on the right with new images. For now I am sure this is much too long already.
Saturday, 25 April 2009
Ducklings
One fateful day we (my husband and I,) watched as the mother duck defended her ducklings from crows, a seagull and a wading dog. There are five ducklings now, to start with she had eight or nine. After that series of sudden attacks she became very shy and secretive for a while. I think the dog particularly gave her a terribly bad fright. After patient searching we would always discover her hiding her young away in a hidden clump of reeds or grass on the edge of the extensive pond – it had become a kind of ritual for us to see them every day. Fortunately she has got over that,and also the ducklings have grown to a size where they are not so vulnerable anymore. These days they take frequent trips up the canal where they are fed a lot of bread by passers-by. Evening will always find them back on the pond, often they are accompanied by a drake – a mallard with glossy green head and striking plumage. I actually prefer the mother's plumage, duller maybe, but when you look closely, the pattern of golden-brown feathers is very rich – and she has such a motherly, pleasing look. I am not sure if the drake is the father or not, or even if it is the same one all the time, if he is a father, he certainly leaves the mother to do most of the rearing on her own. Such a lot has been happening because it is Spring-time and I have been meaning to get started on this blog for quite some time now. I have been taking quite a lot of photographs – my camera is not that good and I have no pretensions to being a professional photographer, still I would like to share my inadequate attempts to capture the beauty and mystery of what I see every day and will keep updating the slide-show on the right with new images. For now I am sure this is much too long already.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment